Monday, June 28, 2010

Sherri's Final Assembly


All that is left at this stage is to add the border. Before then, I wanted to talk a bit about joining the squares together and the design layout.
Different joining methods are briefly mentioned in the book, leaving the knitter to choose which they might like the best. The original afghan was put together in a striped diagonal setting.
I knew before beginning this project that I wanted an Around the World setting. Because all of the large scale two-color patterned blocks were worked in two shades of pink, I opted to edge each square with 2 rounds of single crochet before joining. To make the blocks read the lighter pink I edged the square in that color. To make them read as the darker color, I used the darker yarn. Each of my squares have 33 single crochet stitches along the sides and 3 stitches in each corner for the first round. The second round has 35 stitches along the sides and 3 stitches in each corner. The two color yellow/gold squares were edged in gold and the solid color blocks were edged in whichever color they were knit. I used a size H hook for the crocheting. I then sewed the blocks together through all single crochet loops.

No comments: